Young Pea Chef of the Year 2019 Winning Recipes!
PEA, MINT & RICOTTA RAVIOLI WITH SAGE BUTTER AND PARMESAN CRISP
- 180g 00 white flour
- 3 eggs
- 200g plus 100g frozen peas
- 125g ricotta
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 1 spring onion
- 10g fresh mint
- 50g butter
- ½ crushed garlic clove
- 10g sage leaves with stalks discarded
- 5g grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Handful of pea shoots
- Put the flour in a pile on the work surface and make a well in the middle. Crack the eggs into the well and gently beat the eggs with a knife, slowly introducing the flour to the mix. When it starts to form dough, transfer to a floured work surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Leave to rest in a warm dry place for thirty minutes.
- Steam all 300g of peas and then drain and cool. Set aside ⅓ of the peas to be used later. Crush the remaining ⅔ of the peas using a fork and a drizzle of oil. Finely chop the spring onion and mint. Add the ricotta, onion and mint to the peas. Mix and season. Cover with cling film and chill.
- Split the pasta dough into two balls and roll each one separately through a pasta machine to a thin setting, creating two long sheets. Place small heaps of the filling in lines on the first pasta sheet, about 5cm apart, 10 in total. Press a circular cutter down around each one to make a disk of pasta. Make the same sized pasta disks from the other sheet of pasta, to go on top of each ravioli. Brush the edges of the bottom disk with water and then press the other disk on top, sealing the edges with a fork. This will make 10 ravioli in total. Dust with flour and move to the side.
- Put small mounds of grated parmesan into a warm frying pan. Heat until the cheese is bubbling and then take off of the heat. Use a spatula to remove and place on a piece of kitchen paper to drain.
- Put the butter, sage leaves and garlic into a pan. Heat until the butter has melted. Remove from the heat and season.
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil. Add the ravioli and cook for 3-4 minutes. Drain using a slotted spoon.
- Carefully put the ravioli into the pan of butter, together with the reserved peas. Gently stir to coat the parcels with the peas and sage butter.
- Serve immediately with the pea shoots and parmesan crisp.